Monday, October 18, 2010

Centre 78 is GOOD for our Community

(Page 10)

By Tanya Thibodeau, Publisher
Well, since my last article I have had two well known points (for some people) confirmed beyond all shadows of doubt (in my opinion). 1) When someone is wrong or misguided they will often fight tooth and nail, no matter the cost or consequences to defend their position and prove they are right – which of course is an effort doomed to start with. 2) Mankind is not a complete loss. (It’s going to be interesting to see how this statement gets twisted.)
But all in all, it was nice to see a fairly decent response, from both expected and unexpected corners of the community, to my article.
I would like to personally thank the numerous individuals who went out of their way to both commend me and thank me for my article in the last issue. You are all very welcome, although really no thanks are needed. In fact, I would like to apologize to all of the dedicated Gazette readers for it having taken me so long to put pen to paper on this topic for you. But fear not – I won’t be ceasing the exercise anytime soon.
Overall the response was generally quiet and thought provoking, which is nice really. In contrast to well over a dozen positive responses to my article, there were only 2 responses that weren’t particularly polite – you know who you are – and although I didn’t use up my own valuable time to join the mudslinging match, rest assured that your misconceptions will be addressed for the public so that they can be sure of having the truth and the facts. Your valid points will also be addressed and hopefully we can get some constructive communication flowing.
One very valid point that has been raised by several people – both in a positive and a negative way – is the point of communication. This is definitely one of the most challenging components for groups, organizations, businesses and even individuals. So to this end, I would like to invite some suggestions. As a bit of a “techie” myself, I tend to lean towards computers and the Internet, however, I fully understand that this is not always the preferred method for everyone. So what other options are there? Printing out multiple copies of all documentation and then distributing it around is not a particularly cost effective option and really it would be quite wasteful. Personally, my vote is to revamp the website with oodles of information AND maintain a single, printed version of that website at a central location available to the public. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully accepted and you will find a Discussion Forum posted on the Centre 78 Facebook page where you can share your ideas. I know, it’s ironic and I apologize to those of you who aren’t able to do this. But for now, please, pass your ideas on to your friends and family and ask them to post on your behalf until we can get a really good and acceptable line of communication open. If you’re in a real pinch, you can even call my office and one of us here can post your idea for you.
Moving forward, I do have one request… there are individuals who claim they would like to see an end to the “finger pointing and blaming”, I couldn’t agree more and as such would ask these same people to be community leaders on this front and to put an end to their own methods of attack. These individuals are causing a division in our communities that is truly sad to see. During an extremely in-depth brainstorming session I had over the phone with Wendy Aupers last week, she stressed how important it is for there to be “unity” in “comm-unity” (amongst many other points she raised). Interestingly, an individual I had not heard of before, “Sarah Hawk”, posted a similar comment on the Centre 78 Facebook page. I honestly must agree with this particular point whole-heartedly and applaud both ladies for recognizing the division that is being created by the negative individuals who are perpetuating whatever bad feelings may have been perceived in the past.
One of the things that I don’t fully understand is why it is acceptable, to certain people, for one group to mudsling at another – yet it is not acceptable, to those same people, when the group getting attacked stands up for themselves and defends what they believe in and what they know to be true. Call me naive I guess, but I was raised with the belief that what’s good for the goose is good for the gander and to treat others as you wish to be treated. If certain people don’t like it when their “claims” are disputed or proven to be incorrect, then perhaps they should think twice before speaking out publically. Personally, if I make a claim that is incorrect, then I welcome the provable correction so that I am able to ensure that I am helping to promote accurate facts. Unfortunately, an “opinion” is not deemed to be a “provable fact”, as was kindly pointed out to me in a letter I recently received from Muriel Dais and how very true. Actually, it is a rather interesting observation in light of the conflicting information that is being passed around as “fact” when in reality it is no more than “opinions”. So if you find yourself faced with someone stating what they believe to be “fact”, in all fairness you should simply be asking them where their documented proof is for their claim. Then in further fairness, contact one of the Executives of the Society with this “documented proof” for validation of its authenticity. All of the Executives have their relevant contact information posted on the Centre 78 website: www.centre78.ca. These are exactly the steps I am in the process of taking myself.
Centre 78 has been asked for transparency, so please, stop blocking and twisting the efforts and information that is being provided. Rome was not built in a day and neither will Centre 78 be. This is not some two-bit project being slapped together and there is a long road ahead. If you wish to be a positive influence, with constructive criticism and a part of the process thus making you a part of the solution, you are invited with open arms. If you wish to be negative and derogatory – you are respectfully requested to keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself.
Over the next several weeks, probably even months, I will be compiling scads of documented information pertaining to all of the questions and concerns that have been raised to date. Even compiling the list of questions and concerns is taking time as there has been a lot of duplication in numerous forms. However, once I have finished compiling the list I will first post it in a Discussion Thread on Facebook, second I will provide that list in the next edition of the Gateway Gazette (November 2nd). Once available, please familiarize yourself with these topics. I am the Publisher and part owner (with my Mother) of a rather busy newspaper and I also have my own children that are rightfully entitled to a great deal of my time. It is going to take me a fairly long time to put this information together, but I will keep you – the public – posted every step of the way. If you have questions for me, you can post a message on Facebook through Centre 78’s page or you can send an email to gazette.tanya@telus.net. However, please note – gazette@telus.net is the email address for the newspaper, so unless you are submitting something to be considered for publication in the next edition, do not send Centre 78 related messages to this email address. If you would rather speak to me in person, then please call my office at 403-933-4283 and leave a message. I will return your call within a couple of days, as soon as I am able to offer you my undivided attention. People get really annoyed with me when I multi-task during a conversation – it’s a horribly bad habit – so please, respect my time and I will respect yours.
On a final note, please understand that I am not telling you to trust only in my research, findings and efforts. IF you do happen to trust me as an individual, then I am honoured and I will continue to earn and deserve that trust to the best of my ability. If you don’t know me, or don’t wish to trust me, that is your choice and is perfectly acceptable. You are most certainly welcome to embark on the same level of detailed research that I am to verify information for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment