Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Life of a Calmed Artist

Happy new year to you, lovely reader. This new year marks the ten-year anniversary of teaching art. Milestones like that are important, and according to life coaches, we need to be celebrating these moments of great accomplishments. Since my meditation practice began five months ago, I have found a sense of calm and clarity. The first main positive result was recognizing when I needed a break and not doing this:
“Too stressed to think about a problem? Distract yourself with other things to do. Too tired to get up early in the morning? Stay up late and finish it tonight. Got a headache from a lack of sleep? Have more coffee.” All of those choices were made as a result of not giving myself that seemingly elusive, “me time.”
Finding peace in our crazy, mixed up world full of seemingly endless bad news, incessant instant messaging, creeping deadlines and forcing one 'last' thing into our days can feel like wearing an increasingly huge and heavy pack, climbing the most treacherous windy mountain with predators lurking all around us, just to find… an escape. All we need to do is be calm. Where I found mine is right here, in my home. Given that I started giving myself some guilt-free 'me time' those little moments are now deeply treasured. They can be a day, an hour, fifteen minutes, even five minutes. But those five minutes are ALL YOURS TO KEEP. And the best part? They're free.
For an artist, finding peace is something we absolutely need. Scientists have even proven that creative types use more of their 'alpha' (light rest) state of mind than their 'beta' (fully awake) state. The reason for this is that our brains need to be at a restful or peaceful state in order to effectively create our artwork. So much needs to be studied about our little brains… for now… lets just give them a rest.

~Love and light from The Real Robin Thibodeau


RobiN Thibodeau
allseasonchick@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment