Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Psst.... Wanna Know A Secret?

(Page 3)

By Tracey Walshaw
There's a secret in Turner Valley and we need help spreading it around! The St. George's Anglican Church has a Soup Kitchen open every Tuesday from noon to 1pm. They are located just South of the Royal Bank, across from the hotel.
This free lunch is open to anyone who would like to have a bowl of soup and good company once a week. I know that going out to a restaurant by myself is too uncomfortable. For some people going out at all is a luxury because there are so many other things we have to spend our hard-earned money on. We have a lot of seniors who live alone in our foothills communities who are eating with only the TV for company and that gets old pretty fast!
Three ladies at the church sat down one day and decided this community could use a Soup Kitchen, offering up homemade soup, buns/biscuits, coffee/tea and sometimes there is even tasty desserts. I stopped in to see how it was going and before I knew it I was sitting with a bowl of beef barley soup (my favourite) and a coffee! There was even homemade banana bread for dessert! The company made for a lovely way to spend a lunch hour!
I am not much of a cook but have been known to make a pretty good pot of turkey soup. I may have to pull out that big soup pot, recipe book and stir up some soup for the church freezer. Anyone else out there have a talent in the kitchen or a tasty recipe to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment