Saturday, March 10, 2012

Millarville Cool News - Kindergarten Similes

The Kindergarten class at MCS have been engaged in an inquiry looking at the things we learn from family and friends. We've been investigating the roles and responsibilities in families, relationships with our friends and our connections to each other. We've been using information about our family members as we look at numbers in math.
We read the book, My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks by Hanoch Piven, a very cool artist and author. This book looks at the family portrait in a very different way – using similes to describe each member. Then we used Mr. Piven's collage technique of using everyday objects to create our own works of art. We then wrote some similes to describe our family member.
Here's a sample!
Raine: My mom is as loving as a heart and as snuggly as a cat
Jack: My dad is as prickly as a hedgehog and as tall as a building
Stetson: My mom is as lovey as a heart and as lovely as a flower
Elizabeth: My mom is as cute as a kitten and as lovely as a birthday party
Shona: My mom is as sweet as a candy and as soft as a feather
Amelia: My mom is as soft as a feather and as sweet as hot chocolate
Wyatt: My mom is as light as a feather and as ranch-ish as a cowgirl
James: My sister is as funny as a clown and as quiet as a mouse
Tyree: My dad is as furry as a sheep and as cowboy-ish as a cowboy
Reese: My mom is as soft as a feather and as loving as a heart
Danika: My mom is as soft as a feather and as sweet as a flower
Ava: My mom is as sweet as a feather and as sweet as a heart
Nathan: My sister Emily is a lovey as a heart and as sweet as a candy
Alyssa: My grandma is as lovey as a heart and as small as a snowflake
Amber: My dad is as funny as a clown and as nice as a candy cane
Bailee: My grandma is as soft as a feather and as sweet as a candy

No comments:

Post a Comment