Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Faith Forum ~ The Worth of a Mother

One of my fondest memories of my mother is when I was six years old. We were kneeling together beside my bed as we did every night for bedtime prayers. This night was different though. On this night I asked Jesus to forgive me of all the wrongs I had done and to come live in my heart. If my memory serves me well, right after that my mother and I went out to the living room where my dad was and I told him what I had prayed. I doubt if there were two happier parents anywhere that night. That decision I made as a child has stuck with me my whole life.

That was one of the deepest desires that my parents had for us kids – that we would know God and His Son Jesus in a personal friendship and then live for him throughout the rest of our lives.

The influence that a mother has on her child can never be underestimated. Sometimes that's not a good thing; but the good news is that we can choose to influence our children for positive things that will affect them in a good way for the rest of their lives. One of the most profound ways that a mother can influence her children is by what they see by example in her life. If a mother makes good choices throughout her life, than chances are better that her children will follow her example. As a mom, if we choose to follow God's example for living and know him personally, then we are assured that we have his help daily in raising our children. Our prayers for our children are invaluable as well as this is something we can continue to do for them even after they leave home!

Jesus’ own mother was carefully chosen by God to be his human mother. Her final response to the angel after he explained why he came to her with a message, shows her good character and is a great example of how we can be if we are really living for God.

“In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a village in Galilee, to a virgin named Mary. She was engaged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of King David. Gabriel appeared to her and said, “Greetings, favoured woman! The Lord is with you!”

Confused and disturbed, Mary tried to think what the angel could mean. “Don't be afraid, Mary,” the angel told her, “for you have found favour with God!  You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David. And he will reign over Israel forever; his Kingdom will never end!”

Mary asked the angel, “But how can this happen? I am a virgin.” 

The angel replied, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the baby to be born will be holy and he will be called the Son of God. What's more, your relative Elizabeth has become pregnant in her old age! People used to say she was barren but she's now in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God.”


Mary responded, “I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true.” And then the angel left her.” (Luke 1: 26 – 38 NLT)

Here are some famous quotes that concur that the worth of a mother is indeed gold.
 
The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men - from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever. ~Unknown

Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.  ~Oprah Winfrey

Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother. ~ Lin Yutang, Chinese writer

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Happy Mother's Day to all our female readers who are a mom, grandma, aunt, sister, stepmom, godmother or even someone who just loves kids and shows it :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment