Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Faith Forum by Gloria Wessner

Click on the article headline if you would like to read our entire publication online, in original print format. To leave a comment, click the link at the bottom of this post. 


 From One Beggar to Another

Good news is something that all of us like to share with one another. When something good happens to me, one of the first things that come to mind is “who could I phone and share this with?”

When I write 'Faith Forum' each time, the main question I ask myself is “how am I going to share the Good News with the readers this week?” As I was thinking about that question, I was reminded of two of Jesus' own stories that he told. You see, Jesus wasn't worried about what others thought of him – he just shared his love and life with those who were around him, and he zeroed in on those he knew needed him the most. That was usually those who really listened and paid attention to him – not those who were really interested only in themselves. Here are those stories:

“By this time a lot of men and women of doubtful reputation were hanging around Jesus, listening intently. The Pharisees and religion scholars were not pleased, not at all pleased. They growled, "He takes in sinners and eats meals with them, treating them like old friends." Their grumbling triggered this story.
 

"Suppose one of you had a hundred sheep and lost one. Wouldn't you leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the lost one until you found it? When found, you can be sure you would put it across your shoulders, rejoicing, and when you got home call in your friends and neighbors, saying, 'Celebrate with me! I've found my lost sheep!' Count on it—there's more joy in heaven over one sinner's rescued life than over ninety-nine good people in no need of rescue.”(Jesus speaking) (John 15:1-7 The Message) And:
"Or imagine a woman who has ten coins and loses one. Won't she light a lamp and scour the house, looking in every nook and cranny until she finds it? And when she finds it you can be sure she'll call her friends and neighbors: 'Celebrate with me! I found my lost coin!' Count on it—that's the kind of party God's angels throw every time one lost soul turns to God."
(Jesus speaking) (John 15:8-10 The Message)

The reality is that all of us need rescuing by God – from our self - centeredness, greed, thoughtlessness and living only for ourselves; just to name a few of our issues. This includes religious leaders today whose lives haven't been changed by God, too; the same as it was in Jesus' day as this story says. The good news is that we can be rescued from all of this because of what Jesus did for us by dying on that cross and rising again from the dead. And he did that because he CHOSE to – I don't think any of us would willingly die for someone else, except on a very rare occasion. To think that the angels have a great party every time one of us is rescued, too! Now that's being alive! And that's just the beginning! Besides having him living inside of me throughout this life and helping me in every situation here; when this body dies, the real me will continue to live the most amazing and abundant life there is in the entire universe – with him in heaven forever, who went through all of this for me and you. This can be true for anyone, no matter what they've thought or done, who chooses to become a member of God's forever family.

I guess you could say “I'm just one beggar, telling other beggars, where to find the Bread of Life.”
Readers are invited to write Gloria at: gloriawes@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment