Friday, August 5, 2011

Gardens Galore by Karen Brewka

Click on the article headline if you would like to read our entire publication online, in original print format. To leave a comment, click the link at the bottom of this post.


Chinook Sunflowers

The yellow finches are back, flitting around and ransacking seeds from my Chinook Sunflowers. These sunflowers are about 2 – 3 feet tall, multi-branched, with variable flowers – some single, some double.
The Chinook Sunflower happened by accident. I was working in southern Alberta and became enamoured with the native sunflower growing in ditches and along roadsides. I picked some seed heads and brought them home to Edmonton. I didn't have time to do anything with them so I just pitched them into the garden.
Next spring, I bought a pack of Teddy Bear Sunflower seeds and planted them in the garden, forgetting completely about the native sunflower seeds. That summer, while I was away working, both kinds of sunflowers grew in my garden.


The next season, new sunflowers popped up and they were amazing! Some a foot tall, some five feet tall, some single, some double and even triple blooms. Apparently the Teddy Bears had a picnic and the children were all over the sunflower map! They showed characteristics of the native sunflower, the Teddy Bear Sunflower and the Teddy Bears' parents, all mixed up. I called them 'Chinook'. A few years later, I backcrossed this hybrid with native sunflowers and now, many generations later, and a move to the foothills, they are fairly consistent in height and flowering.

Chinook Sunflowers like heat, sun and neglect. They bring the joyful sight and sound of finches every year. But, after seeding out, they get messy and 'stalky'. They are easy to pull out, but I always leave some for the birds. I've sold some and given lots away and I see them all over the area. If you've got some Chinook Sunflowers, I hope you're enjoying their happy blooms and the finches, too!

The Valley Neighbors Garden Club welcomes new members. For information call Bea at 403–933–7131.
The Horticultural Club meets every second Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm. For information call Sheila at 403–931–3989.

No comments:

Post a Comment