Monday, June 27, 2011

Cross Conservation

Click on the article headline if you would like to read our entire publication online, in original print format. To leave a comment, click the link at the bottom of this post.

Why do Buttercups build me up?

Why did you build me up Buttercup? But your beauty didn't let me down, as the hit song might suggest. I recently had the pleasure of joining a few of our knowledgeable volunteers on a flora exploration at the Cross Conservation Area, during which I once again discovered some of the countless gems this area has to offer its visitors.


After a detour up a particularly moist coulee, our group did spot the shiny yellow petals of some Early Buttercups that we sought. The interesting thing that I discovered on this particular trek was that the Prairie Crocuses that had surrounded us in our journey along the south-facing slope are, in fact, also a kind buttercup. Who knew that this little flower that so graciously welcomes spring and lights up my work days with the anticipation of the start of our Spring Education programs (when I get to be on the trails with the school kids) was the fluffy purple sheep of the buttercup family.

Aside from the buttercups, the day was filled with several other colourful spring signs. The leaves of the Aspen trees and Balsam Poplars were a brilliant green as they were fresh out of their sappy bud bags; the hillsides were decorated with the yellows of Golden Beans, Early Cinquefoil and Prairie Violets; amidst the purple tinged blades of green brome lay Early Blue Violets and the whites of Mouse-eared Chickweed and Pennycress. We were even lucky enough to find some brilliant magenta Shooting Stars, not to be confused with their nocturnal meteor namesakes. Oh, and of course the white blooms of Wild Strawberry fields forever (forgive the Beatles reference).

Sharing a day in the beauty of the Cross Conservation Area with our wonderful volunteers as well as our new summer student, Jessica Eaton, not only presented me with a learning opportunity in botany, but also gave me a chance to pause and reconnect with my natural workplace that I have come to love. The happy “buzz buzz” of the Clay Coloured Sparrows mixed with the melodious American Robin calls were a delightful soundtrack to watch the Mule Deer go springing by, reminding me of this area's endless energy. Whether it was the sight of my Buttercups that built me up, or the panoramic vista which surrounded me, I am left with an eager anticipation to share my discoveries and make many more with the children who will pass through our doors in the upcoming months, through our School Day Programs and our weeklong Nature Safari Day Camps in July and August. I have no qualms about the possibility of being let down in such a place; the only mystery for me that remains is just what discoveries will I find this year? I strongly encourage you to register online for a hike and start making a few discoveries of your own and don't forget to bring your Dad!

~ Laura Griffin

For more information involving School programs or Day Camps please visit our website at:
www.crossconservation.org or phone 403-931-2042.





No comments:

Post a Comment