Friday, December 30, 2011

The Life of A Grateful Artist

Can you believe we're at the end of 2011? Can you believe that people actually believe that the world will 'end' a year from now? Honestly, when will our species learn to live and enjoy life right now and not because of, some possible catastrophic event? I put off retiring my Dodge for over a year for this practical reason: to avoid getting into debt. But to what risk? Aside from having no radio antennae, no glove compartment, no control over the heat blasting during the summer or the trunk mysteriously opening of its own volition, its latest trick was locking me out of it while I was nowhere near it… or as I would approach it. (Insert the Twilight Zone theme song here).
So, why do we all work so hard to capture that elusive creature known as money? To have what we really need or want right? As shocking as that may seem, that's what I've been doing. Gathering things I really need. In August I got my laptop and it has served me well. Then in October, I upgraded my website by purchasing my very own domain name:
www.robinlisathibodeau.com and then turned it into an e-commerce site so that I can eventually sell my artwork online.
And I figured I'd wait until the spring to replace my car. We artists like to make a good impression on galleries and patrons you know. But my Dodge had other plans. About 3 weeks ago, it decided to blow black smoke out of its exhaust pipe… and then crater. My mechanic had told me that it wasn't worth fixing, so I actually decided to buy a new car. GASP! I never thought of myself ever owning a new car before… but my Dad would've encouraged me to get one. In my cozy studio, I meditated on finding a car that best suited me, along with the help of honest and trustworthy car dealers. And between November 18th and November 29th, I test drove it, signed the papers, switched up my insurance and drove home in my new super-safe and 2008 Honda Civic LX. Weird how a car can make a person feel so good-despite the fact that it's a depreciating asset. I honestly can't wait to get out to those city galleries with it and maybe show off just a little bit?? I'm sure my Dad is smiling down at me that I'm finally in a safe car.

~Love and light from The Real RobiN Thibodeau
allseasonchick@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment