Sunday, September 25, 2011

Gardens Galore: Pattern Makes Perfect by Karen Brewka

Click on the article headline if you would like to read our entire publication online, in original print format. To leave a comment, click the link at the bottom of this post.

Last spring, I noticed that my species tulip (Tulipa tarda) was getting crowded in its cluster. The flowers were smaller than before. So, this fall, I'm going to dig up the cluster. They are just in front of the chives so I have an idea where to dig. I'm going to replant them in three to five new clusters, depending on how many bulbs I find.
I'll have to prepare the new planting locations by digging deep, adding some compost or peat moss and mixing the soil well. I'll screw the bulbs into their new locations at a depth of about three times the length of the bulb. They'll have to be watered in well after transplanting and then mulched. If squirrels or cats were a problem, I'd lay down some chicken wire on the mulch and stake it in place. The wire would have to be moved off as the tulipas grow in the spring as they grow tighter to the ground than most bulbs and the wire would inhibit growth.
But, where am I going to plant these new clusters? Tulipa tarda doesn't look as awful while the foliage is dying back as daffodils and regular tulips do. So, they can be closer to the front of a bed. They bloom later than regular tulips so look good with grape hyacinth. I know where some of the grape hyacinth are so I'll transplant some around the tulipa bulbs. Maybe some chives need to be transplanted, too. But, I'll move the chives in the spring.
What I'll try to do is set up a pattern with the bulb clusters so the eye is drawn along a line in the flower bed. Creating patterns in our beds is fun. We can make patterns with colour: yellow, blue, purple, blue, yellow, blue, purple, blue, yellow, etc. We can make patterns with size: small, medium, large, medium, small, medium, large, etc. And texture: fine, medium, coarse, medium, fine, medium, coarse, etc.
The rhythm created by pattern can be expressed on the drawing board with symbols:
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
The symbols represent plants. Creating patterns in our flower beds include the dimensions of space and time and can span seasons. Way too much fun for the thoughtful gardener!
In this case, I have a cluster of tulipa tarda (yellow colour, coarse texture, medium height) with bits of grape hyacinth poking up beside the clusters (blue colour, fine texture, short height), interspersed with a background of chives (purple colour, medium texture, tall height), relatively. And. I'll have three to five of these combinations in a wavy line near the front of my corner flower bed.

The Valley Neighbors Garden Club welcomes new members. For information call Bea at 403–933–7131. The Horticultural Club meets every second Tuesday of the month at 7:30pm. For information call Sheila at 403–931–3989.

No comments:

Post a Comment