Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Life of An Artist ...with a new laptop

Click on the article headline if you would like to read our entire publication online, in original print format. To leave a comment, click the link at the bottom of this post.

So, here I sit on my deck writing my article on my new laptop! And I find myself wondering if it will also become attached to me like my Blackberry has. I plan to use it not only for my articles and documents, but also as another professional art tool, as I am way overdue. The last two art books I purchased both had tips on how to complete a pencil drawing with Photoshop. The art world is a very fast paced, cut throat place and I'm allowing myself to be left behind. I must accept the challenge and use my talents for good and not evil. Right? Or is it better to be feared?
You see, I worry that we humans will become so attached to our gadgets, the convenience of them and the gratification of the light speed results they represent - will actually be the downfall of our existence. Sounds a bit alarmist… but have you seen 'Escape from L.A.'? 'Wall-e'? 'Demolition Man'? 'I-Robot'? What are these writers trying to tell us? I would say it's pretty clear. As we get more and more dependent on our 'social devices', will we eventually become less and less attached to our real social world of family and friends? As an artist, technology means so much more than social networking and efficiency. Historically art-making had everything to do with the connection between the artist and their product/medium. Digital art is stunning and it has the ability to get a message across to the viewer with little exertion and extreme efficiency. The problem arises when ownership is questioned. I had a grade twelve student submit one particular digital piece as part of her entrance portfolio to university. The jury asked her to substantiate the claim that the work is in fact of her own creation. Anxiously, she came to her teacher, me, for help. I suggested she submit the pencil sketches from her sketchbook, and instead of emailing them her reply, I told her to call and speak to them directly. She did both, but her parents ended up flying her to Victoria so she could address the full jury in person. Due to her dedication to honesty, she was accepted.


RobiN Thibodeau
allseasonchick@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment