Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Life of An Artist Refining Success

Click on the article headline if you would like to read our entire publication online, in original print format. To leave a comment, click the link at the bottom of this post.

    Believe it or not, despite my positive nature I too have my cloudy days. But they only rear their ugly heads when I’m judging my successes based on material things. It’s so weird isn’t it? We start to evaluate our current situations at particular times in our lives, and we always look at the superficial ‘assets’, the things we depend on to keep us happy. Things like the car we drive, the residence we live in, the balance in our bank accounts, the jobs we have and the social status of them. Now, let’s imagine that a massive natural disaster takes place and throws all of them out of reach. What are we supposed to depend on now?  That’s when you’re forced to realize that those were never really assets at all. The people we love in our lives are.  I know, it’s hard to accept that the things we work so hard for, don’t really mean much when Mother Nature has her way.
    This summer I took a trip with friends to Vancouver Island and we saw many mansions, luxury cars, sports cars and yachts. At the spa we stayed at, the menu was absolutely delectable. Some people actually stay there for weeks! How could they afford it? Consider this, the same exact yummy bottle of $25 Cedar Creek Merlot I bought in Okotoks was double at the restaurant... GASP! … so instead I opted for the $7 Fresh Lime with Fresh Mint Leaves, Mojito and the $10 Dark Chocolate Mousse Sea Escape. They were: utterly scrumptious.  I mean really, why yearn? Just go for it! So… all in all. I've come to appreciate that I have a pretty awesome life. No my car is no luxury vehicle… it’s dependable. My residence is no mansion, it’s cozy. My job is not ‘high powered or well paid’.. it’s rewarding. My bank account is not limitless, it’s supportive.  What about social status? Let’s leave that decision up to ourselves, and the people in our lives whom we love. Because they are our true assets and they deserve the recognition.

RobiN Thibodeau
allseasonchick@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment