Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pet Ponderings by Tracey Walshaw - Pawsitive Match

(Page 3)

We are entering the season of love, goodwill and gifting. You might want to think about helping another creature that shares this planet with us. I can say, from personal experience, that giving a home to a rescue dog is very rewarding. Our first little guy (Tophy) was a stray on the streets of Calgary. Our second adoption (Benji) came from Heaven Can Wait in High River. I have discovered so many groups, all hardworking volunteers, serving to rescue dogs and cats just by surfing the web!
Pawsitive Match is one such non-profit organization based out of Calgary. This group of volunteers strives to place abandoned dogs in loving homes. Many of these dogs come from shelters without a no-kill policy…..death row, so to speak. Many others come all the way from Cabo San Lucas. That's how all this started, when two dedicated individuals saw a need to rescue dogs in Cabo. After that first successful rescue they found more volunteers, including foster families.
Another positive outcome of the groups' efforts has been to establish spay and neuter clinics in Cabo. Some local vets have even given of their time at these clinics.
Education goes a long way to preventing unwanted births and that is part of the work performed by Pawsitive Match, not only in Canada and Mexico but the United States, Turks and Caicos. Many dogs are brought from these countries to their foster homes in Calgary and surrounding areas.
Another need was discovered closer to home and this dedicated group has teamed up with the Alberta Spay and Neuter Task Force manning clinics on various reserves in Alberta.
Like so many of these groups, Pawsitive Match depends on volunteers and donations. They are asking for help once again this winter in the form of blankets, towels, toys, food, crates, bones, chew toys, dog beds, collars and leashes. If you can help please contact Chelsea Durling by calling 403-466-4436.
You can also help by becoming a foster family or adopting one of the many dogs seeking a permanent home. Check out their website:
www.pawsitivematch.org and see if you can resist one of those adorable faces! Chelsea sent us a photo and information on a sweety in need of a home:
Hi! My name is Julie. I am approximately 4 years old and about 35 lbs.
I have the colouring of a shepherd, but the personality of a herding dog! We think I might have some collie or cattle dog in me as I have very strong herding tendencies.
I have lots of energy and love to run, so would love an active family to take me on lots of adventures! I love to please, and respond to commands on a dime, so I am very trainable. I am very inquisitive and extremely smart! I am also already housetrained! I am good with cats (I see them every week!), although every once in awhile I have to give one little chase, but a verbal correction will stop me right away! I am great with everyone, especially kids! I take awhile to warm up to other dogs, but when given the patience and time I need, they become my best friend! I am a great little dog who is inquisitive and always ready to go exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment