Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Turner Valley School News

(Page 21)

Turner Valley School's Waxing for Cancer Fundraiser
Our 2010 fundraising for Cancer research got off to a great start with our summer Read-a-thon. Students who participated in the Read-a-thon raised $420.00 to be donated to the Terry Fox Foundation. Students were encouraged to donate funds for Cancer research to meet the goal of raising $1,000.00 with the incentive of seeing Mr. Berrigan and Mr. Bennington have their legs waxed on stage in front of the whole school on September 30th!!  Our Read-a-thon happened in conjunction with our Toonies for Terry – Marathon of Hope Drive. Having met and exceeded our target of $1000.00 by $327.00, Mrs. Shannon Maksymich volunteered her expertise to perform professional leg waxing on Mr. Berrigan and Mr. Bennington at our assembly on Thursday, September 30th at 1:00pm in the gym. OUCH!!!
Following the leg waxing shenanigans we held our annual Turner Valley School Terry Fox Run along the Friendship Trail. As always the Terry Fox story inspires students staff and families to raise money for cancer research and go the extra mile. A huge THANK YOU! to everyone for their generous donations.
We appreciate Mr. Bennington and Mr. Berrigan for their bravery and willingness to support fundraising for cancer research and hope that the Turner Valley School community's generosity hasn't caused them too many sleepless nights
Welcome Mrs Dawn-Lyn Morris
We wish Mrs. Connor the very best as she leaves to have her baby and welcome Mrs. Dawn-Lyn Morris to Turner Valley School. Mrs. Morris has been a frequent guest teacher to our school and is excited to join our school community on a full time basis.
Dear Parents, Students and Staff of Turner Valley School,
My name is Dawn-Lyn Morris and I am thrilled to be joining the school as the new Grade 2 teacher. Having the opportunity to join this learning community that I have enjoyed coming to as a Guest Teacher for the past two years is definitely the start of an exciting new chapter in my teaching career.
I bring to your school over 10 years of teaching experience at a variety of grade levels and locations. As a graduate of the University Of Calgary's Bachelor of Education program, I planned on only teaching Elementary school. Since then, my career has taken many directions and several hiatuses when I took time to be home with my two sons, now aged 5 and 3.
The experiences I had as an English as a Second Language teacher overseas in Japan were life-changing, to say the least. In addition, my years working as a therapist and Kindergarten Teacher for Society for Treatment of Autism in Calgary were rewarding and valuable lessons for preparing me for my own classroom in a public school setting.
Being a classroom teacher at Dr. J. K. Mulloy Elementary School in NW Calgary for 7 years was where I found my truest enjoyment. I spent those years expanding my repertoire by teaching Grades 2, 5, 6 and Kindergarten. In 2004, I took my career to a new level by becoming the Vice Principal in addition to full time team teaching.
In 2008, my family moved to Okotoks, where we still reside. To my surprise, I have discovered that living in the Foothills is better than a self-proclaimed “City Girl” could have ever imagined! Life in a small town is so much more enjoyable and a wonderful place to raise children.
I have been Guest Teaching for Foothills School Division, Calgary Board of Education and Christ the Redeemer School Division from the Fall of 2009 up until now. Being able to visit so many classrooms and school environments has been a rewarding learning experience. What it has also taught me is that having a staff and students to call my own is ultimately what I really want. I look forward to getting to know all of you better and forming some memorable relationships!

No comments:

Post a Comment