Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Precedence of Innovation

(Pages 10 and 11)


Geez, you know, you guys are really great. Yep, I'm talking about YOU, our readers. And you're totally supportive in your comments and feedback – thank you! I've always loved the Gazette, the concept, the purpose, right from the moment when the idea first hit me. I was so infected by the idea that my awesome Mom had very little choice but to become infected too. It was just something that made sense – to both of us. So it's not surprising that we're both still very proud and keen of our little baby. But what took us both by surprise was how our “Foundation Communities” embraced us. Black Diamond and Turner Valley first and foremost, followed by Millarville, Longview and Priddis. The eagerness to receive it, the pride in being a part of it, the loyalty to it and the protectiveness around calling it your own, taking ownership of it. We really didn't know what to expect when we took the leap of faith to give life to the Gateway Gazette. Sure we did the usual research, analyzed statistics, charted out our competition, talked with key, community leading businesses. But at the end of the day, it was the leap of faith that put the writing on the wall. Have you ever tried to gather statistical information specifically on “this” area for a particular piece of information? It's not exactly easy to find, it's rarely current and some of it simply doesn't exist.
But what I find interesting is that in a world of electronics, a world of technology, a world of iPhones and conveniences, we are beating all odds. “Print media is a dying breed” you hear it all over the place. “Print is a dinosaur – it'll never last, it's becoming obsolete.” Really? Do you honestly believe that? You know what, I can't, it is a concept that I simply can't wrap my head around. And not because my business is a print newspaper – I'm personally savvy enough with technology that if I wanted to abandon print and focus on electronic media I could do it in a heartbeat. No, I still believe in print because you still believe in it and you still want it. I balance it by making it also available online, readable in it's original print format as an e-Edition, but my #1 priority is getting that print copy in your hands every two weeks. Is print media the same today as it was 5, 10 or 25 years ago? No. Will it be the same 5, 10 or 25 years from now? No. But it's not going to disappear. It's going to evolve. To be honest, it's the daily papers who are at the highest level of risk. Before technology, a daily paper was the best and fastest way to get your full details on “hot off the presses” news. But with the evolution of the Internet, iPhones, Smartphones, Blogs, RSS Feeds, etc. by the time a daily print paper reaches most people, the “hot off the press news” is cold and old. Does the Gazette give you the instant, gotta know now, news? No. Does the Internet give you the shining highlights of your community, schools, kids and neighbours – with front and centre spotlight attention? No. Do you see where I'm going here? Do you need this kind of information to be updated by the minute? No. So tell me, is a bi-weekly, community-focused, good news newspaper going to become obsolete? No. Was the Gazette built on precedence? Did we search out and find the same concept, already succeeding, of what we wanted to do and use it as our model? No. In fact, to this day, every time I explain exactly what the Gazette is, as soon as I say “we cover good news – no doom and gloom” I get reactions of astonishment, amazement and huge kudos – “what an awesome idea – I love it – that is fantastic – I've never heard of a paper doing that”. There are more and more “good news” media outlets cropping up every day. But I am proud to say that in our neck of the woods we were among the first. Are we “flourishing” financially? No. (lol) And why? Because our prices are too low and always have been. Do we mind? No. And why? Because one of OUR goals was to enable small businesses equal opportunities to seize their piece of market share. Lots of our customers can't afford hundreds of dollars per month, but they can manage $25 or $50 – we make that possible. Are we successful? Yes. Are we financially viable? Yes. Are we dependant on some kind of supportive funding? No.
So, how many of you have jumped ahead of me and drawn your own conclusions on what exactly my point is here? Did I need a new marketing angle? No – most of you reading this aren't my target customers, at least for advertising and the paper is free, so I don't need subscriptions.
So what on earth am I getting at?! Well, let's break it down a bit…
1.    Print Media is a dying breed – headed towards being obsolete.
2.    There is no precedence for the Gazette concept.
3.    There was no pre-existing, successful model that the Gazette was based on.
4.    The Gazette is free – no subscription required, no taxpayers dollars feed it, no grants subsidize the distribution.
5.    The Gazette is independently owned – not part of a bigger entity, controlled by a conglomerate or corporation.
6.    The Gazette is a black sheep in the industry, going against EVERY standard industry rule that exists – even in the programs we use, but especially in the content included within.
7.    The Gazette's budget changes almost every month as different components are added or removed (by-the-way, when a budget changes so would the business plan).
8.    Mainstream Media/ Newspapers aren't “done” the way the Gazette is done. What we do is just “not the way it's done”.
9.    Most print media are scaling back, while the Gazette is growing and expanding.

Does EVERYBODY love us? No. Does everybody agree with us or our concept? No. Did that stop us? No. Even my own husband is not a “huge” fan – he's proud of me and the Gazette, but he prefers the hard news, more sensationalism and the convenience of his iPhone. Does it cause dissension in our household? No.
How's that parallel coming along? I'm still working on gathering the facts for everyone – an awfully big job while running a business and raising a family – but I am making progress. But I have to say, IN MY OPINION (don't want any misunderstandings out there), I think Centre 78 has hit the flippin' nail on the head and sent it straight through the other side.
1.    Most Community Centres don't make money and rely on tax payers funding it.
2.    Most Community Centres are owned and operated by Municipalities.
Hmmmm… am I the only one that sees the connection there? No, I don't think I am, because there's still less than a dozen voices (with names to them) that are crying out against the Centre 78 concept. But they are still riding on the same points, over and over and over and…. No new objections, no facts to backup their oft repeated same objections – mostly just that “it's never been done, it's not the way it is typically done, there is no precedence, there is no pre-existing successful model to follow” I could launch into a HUGE detailing of historical events that simply crush that theory – in fact, I already have a 1200+ word article started on the topic – but suffice it to mention Karl Benz, Henry Ford, Women's Suffrage Movements – I'm sure you catch my drift.
So to be honest, the objections are getting a bit tiresome. They're unsubstantiated opinions by people who fear change, progress and thinking outside of the box. Of course this is just MY PERSONAL OPINION (don't want that missed) and I guarantee I've just ticked off at least 6 people, maybe 12, of the 20,000+ readers we circulate to, but such is life. It is what it is. Your “hot off the press” news is evolving and migrating to an electronic world. Your print media is evolving and migrating to be more local and community focused. Daily print media, as you know it now, will likely face eventual extinction. Unique print media that thinks outside the box will flourish. What on earth is wrong with the Community Centre concept evolving into a multi-use facility that can actually generate revenue and traffic and growth for its communities rather than being a burden? And please god, don't tell me “because it's never been done” – ugh!
If you're a public supporter or a closet supporter that is afraid of the pressure the opposers may place on you – have faith – you are not on your own. To be honest, there's a lot more of us than there is of them. It may not seem like it because they're so damn noisy. But think of a classroom of 30 kids – 28 are quiet, well behaved, polite and productive. 2 of them yell and scream and cause constant disruption – who gets the most attention? Who makes the most productive, forward movement and progress? If these opposers get in your face – walk away, ignore them, delete their emails or tell them to call me. You do not need to take their bullying crap. But please be fair and understand that I am talking about the “ranting bullies”. I am NOT talking about people who simply have questions, concerns or objections that they are willing to discuss in a civil, mature, respectful and open minded manner. I'm just saying, don't be afraid to step forward and speak up in support because of what reaction you might get from a handful of bullies. A bully can only be a bully if you let them.
If you're in support of this concept and would like to be a part of the solution and process to iron out kinks, brainstorm on alternatives to bona fide objections and help create the eventual picture and outcome of this project, then please step forward. Send an email, make a phone call… there may not be anything for you to do today, but in the weeks and months to come there is going to be plenty of involvement opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment