Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Turner Valley School News

A Word from Principal Rob Bennington
What wonderful weather we have had for the start of another school year. It was great to see all the students returning to school. The school is looking awesome. We are off to a very smooth start and looking forward to an excellent school year filled with fun, friendship and above all learning. A special welcome to our new students and their families. We are pleased to have Patricia Klafki and Chelsea McNutt joining our Turner Valley team this year.
Safety Patrol
Once again students from the Grade 6 class will be doing the morning and after-school safety patrol to monitor the crosswalk area in front of the school. We had a representative from the Alberta Motor Association come to the school in September to teach the Grade 6 class how to properly conduct the Safety Patrol. Please drive extra carefully through this area or when coming to pick up your children.
Welcome New Staff
My name is Patricia Klafki and I am the new Grade 2 teacher. I have been teaching now for 14 years. I have taught Kindergarten to Grade 11 and have spent the last 9 years focused primarily on grades K-3. For the last three years, I taught Grade 1 and a Grade 1/2 spilt at McLaren in Black Diamond.
I was raised in BC and have my Bachelor's of Education from the University of Victoria. I have a specialization in Remedial Methodology which in plain terms is Learning Assistance. I have taught my whole career at small schools with 188 students being the largest school and 8 students (one-room school K-3 with myself and an Educational Assistant) being the smallest school. This is my first year at Turner Valley School teaching a straight Grade 2 and I am very excited to be here. Please drop by to say HELLO!
My name is Chelsea McNutt and I am the new Grade 5 teacher here at Turner Valley School! This is my first year of teaching, as I just recently graduated from the University of Lethbridge. I was born and raised in Lethbridge, but have done a great deal of traveling, including backpacking around Europe for three months. Although I have worked with all ages at elementary level over the past 7 years, including working as an EA for numerous years, I have to admit that grade 5 is by far my favourite. I am so, so excited to start this new school year with such a great bunch of students!!!
Library News:
Our school is having a Scholastic BOOK FAIR, October 21st - 31st. This Book Fair will be a truly spectacular opportunity for big-time book lovers to seek out great new books on mystery, adventure, sports, fun activities, science plus many, many more cool subjects. There will be a special Family Event on October 25th and 26th. If you bring your family you could win FREE BOOKS! An event NOT to be missed! Read to Grow! Read to Know! Read for Friendship, Family and Fun!. Read for Action, Drama and Adventure! Read for Magic, Myth and Mystery!
Thank You Costco
We have had a generous donation of 50 student backpacks from COSTCO CANADA INC. These backpacks have been made available for any of our students who need school supplies.

Our Vision
A community of lifelong learners prepared to succeed in the 21st Century through dynamic and engaging school experiences in a respectful and supportive environment

No comments:

Post a Comment